Labels are editable objects that allow users to manually categorize other objects, like issues, merge requests, and epics. They have a name, description, and a customizable color. They provide a quick way to recognize which categories the labeled object belongs to.
When to use
When not to use
- If displaying more generic object metadata that are not categories, consider using badges.
- Scoped Labels: Scoped labels are a unique type of label, characterized by their mutually exclusive behavior. Each scoped label has a
value. An issue, epic, or merge request can only have one scoped label of a specific
key. For example, if an issue has the label
workflow::ready for design, it cannot have any other
workflow::labels at the same time. Applying a second
workflow::label will automatically replace the former. A scoped label is visually differentiated from a regular label by the contrasting colors on the left and right sides of the label.
- Clicking on a label filters the view, or navigates the user to a list view filtered by that label.
- Users can manually filter lists and other types of views by labels.
- Labels can include a close icon that, when clicked, remove the label from the interface.
- A label's description is shown in a tooltip when hovering the label.
Last updated at: